Dunedin Mews – Site History
The site prior to development comprised residential garages and so had no residential address, therefore a new street name – Dunedin Mews – has been agreed by Lambeth Council. As all new street names must have a historical connection with the area in which the new street or building is located Leathwaite Development conducted research into the history of the site and surrounding area.
The following are extracts from ‘A history of Suburban Streatham’ by Graham Gower.
“During the late 18th and early 19th centuries the population of Streatham parish was beginning to show signs of growth. But in comparison with the adjoining parishes of Clapham and Wandsworth it was still small. The period 1780 to 1830 marked the initial stages in the transition of Streatham from a rural parish to a London suburb.”
“It was at Streatham Hill that the first residential area was established in Streatham proper. This entailed the building of a number of stylised villas and cottage type properties along the west side of the highway towards Brixton Hill.”
“An integral part of the Streatham Hill development was the laying out of Streatham Place. This planned road anticipated the construction of similar roads that were soon to criss-cross the parish in anticipation of housing developments. South of Streatham Place the “Paragon” was developed; a row of twenty fashionable stucco styled properties, planned to be a main feature in this newly designed residential area.”
The oldest available Map of the area that shows dwellings in the Streatham Hill area is dated 1872.
Large houses to the south of Streatham Place along the west side of Streatham Hill are shown on the map. These are believed to have formed part of the “Paragon” properties mentioned above. Two houses have names marked on the map, Bushey Lodge to the north of Telford Avenue and Oakland Lodge to the south of Telford Avenue.
When the current Ordnance Survey Map is overlaid onto the original 1872 Map it can be seen that the project site is situated in what was the grounds of Oakland Lodge.
In 1871 a Joseph Dawson, a leather boot merchant, was living in Oakland Lodge with his family and renamed the house Dunedin. This name appears on the 1894 OS map and continues as the name until the house is numbered as 50 Streatham Hill.
Dunedin and the other large houses and their grounds were eventually demolished and overtaken by the further development of Streatham Hill in the 1920’s and 30’s. Graham Gower describes the inter-war development along Streatham High Road.
“The middle class aspect of Streatham was further enhanced by the style of the developments along Streatham High Road. From the late 1920s, following the widening of the High Road some years earlier, a number of ambitious building projects took place… with the building of luxury “modernistic” blocks of flats. Notable among these blocks were Telford Court (1931); Corner Fielde (1937); The High (mid-1930s) and Pullman Court (1935).”
The Telford Court mansion block, to which the project site’s car park belongs, is located on land fronting onto Streatham Hill that would originally have been part of Dunedin and it’s neighbouring properties.
Initially ‘Oakland Mews’ was considered as a name for the new street, however, as there is an existing street named Oaklands Place which is within the borough of Lambeth this was not possible under the duplication rules.
Following this and with the help of the Streatham Society the change of name from Oakland Lodge to Dunedin was discovered and it was agreed that the new street be named ‘Dunedin Mews’. With the new properties numbered 1,2 & 3 Dunedin Mews.